Saturday 11 June 2011

The Savage Young Taterbug - River Mortis

Artist The Savage Young Taterbug
Year 2009
Label Night People
Genre(s) Lo-Fi, Noise Pop

Have you ever wondered what would've transpired had Daniel Johnston never received help, but rather had stuck with The Butthole Surfers? Me neither. That said, I'm willing to bet that it's nothing like The Savage Young Taterbug, en yet it's still the closest measurement I can offer. I don't know if I've ever heard something quite akin to Mr. Charles Free (If that is even his name, he seems to go by many). Like a jam circle gathering out in the parched desert after hearing of the Tate murders, The Savage Young Taterbug gives forth vibes of both freewheeling hippydom and the destruction of those once great times.

To pin down the music is enough to drive one mad. There's certainly some shoegaze-esq elements to the sound, but mapped down a far more lo-fi path than most chose to tread. Elements of drone and even Americana creep in to the swirling compositions. Each ten minute track tentatively treads through a thousand different genres before landing, foggy as it is, in the listeners lap. The vocals are occasionally ethereal whispers, crooning just beyond comprehension, occasionally emotive rasps still just beyond comprehension.

I really don't know how to best sum this up, all that is left in my mind after a few thorough listens is that Mr. Free has crossed the line twixt lunatic and genius, but I'll be damned if I know in which direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment